Quickfire Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge
For today’s exercise I had to choose a new technology which I was interested in learning about, play with it and create a lesson plan utilizing the contents in my curriculum following the TPACK model.
Content: Scientific Method.
Pedagogy (instructional strategies):
There needs to be a mini lesson before to have the students become acquainted with storify. My methodology is to project storify and go through the different features, then have a couple volunteers model adding pictures, videos, changing fonts, amongst other things. Storify’s features are very much alike as those as other programs which they are accustomed. After, I will ask students to think of a topic and a purpose to create their own storify and have them use it. Students who need assistance can be helped by their classmates. This would be done during a prior visit to the computer lab.
I will tell the students that for today they are scientists. They will perform experiments and as all scientists do record their work. After this, they will continue on to perform their project.
1.Students are paired up in groups of 3
2. They are assigned an experiment. The directions and materials needed for each experiment would be posted on the class website and shown on the projector.
3. Each group must think of their hypothesis for the experiment.
4. Jobs and their specifications would be posted on the class website and students must make a group decision as to whom will perform each of them. The jobs are camera man, scientist, and publisher. The camera man is in charge of recording the process. The main scientist performs the actual experiment, teammates assit when needed. The publisher uploads and organizes the information following the scientific method plan on to Storify.
5. The final step is to upload their final product onto the class website.
Justification of content and pedagogical choices in accordance with TPACK: In previous years students always recorded their scientific method on paper and performed many experiments in their spanish class. I chose this method because it is collaborative work. Each students performs a different task, this makes them responsible for their assignment to go well and builds confidence. I would start the lesson by telling them that for today they are scientists because usually children like to be associated with grown up jobs, they become engaged. In this lesson the technology tool is supporting the content knowledge and pedagogy.
On the 2nd day of our quick fire we had to go back and analyze our lesson plans to see if we were including aspects of the UDL (Universal Design for Learning) model. This model has 3 principles that should be present in the classroom:
1. Provide Multiple Means of Representation
2. Provide Multiple Means of Action and Expression: On storify students are able to decide if for recording their experiment, they want to add videos, text, record their voices and pictures.
3. Provide Multiple Means of Engagement: They become engaged by allowing them to supervise a task because if one does not want to use the camera, he/she can be in charge of performing the experiment or uploading their findings.
Conclusion: In the beginning, I chose iMovie but due to the trouble I was having to import pictures I felt frustrated and changed to storify . This is something to take into account when integrating technology in the classroom. Teachers must have time to play around with the tool and be able to master it, but also be flexible to change the direction of the lesson when and if technology does fail. I asked my teacher to explain to me how to use it and she said “Google it”. I was so annoyed and remember thinking “why can’t she just tell me?” Thinking back to that, I understand that it is not always the best to just give answers to students. We must also let them solve problems, experiment and reach out to their peers. Everything I have read lately about education involves the words “Learning community”. Students should approach their classmates to try to find answers, not rely solely on the teacher giving answers. One of the skills in new literacies talks about the importance of interacting with technology in a meaningful way, but also to learn to find solutions to problems.
It was difficult trying to think of a lesson which was driven by technology. Technological pedagogical content is easy to master, Pedagogical content knowledge is something we as teachers apply on a daily basis, but the one I find the most challenging is Technological content knowledge. You must analyze the affordances and constraints before choosing your technology tool. You must critique if you are using technology with the objective of using technology or if the integration of technology in your lessons is helping your students develop their new literacies and multimedia literacies.
The principles of the UDL model seem like they overlap, they go hand in hand. The way I see it is establishing well defined goals and expectations, activating prior knowledge, giving the children responsibilities and allowing them to present their work in different ways, with or without technology.